Omaha & Neighbors
When you hear of Bennington, Benson, Dundee, Florence, La Vista, Millard, Ralston, and South Omaha, these are our closest suburbs, most already absorbed into Omaha. They each have their identity as they were once individual communities and nearby townships.
Florence (Zip*, Douglas, Pop: part of Omaha (7 miles)
Florence is important because it was one of the earliest settlements west of the Missouri River. Especially important is the time that the Mormons stayed on an Indian reservation in the area. There is so much to tell about Florence, that it has its own page. More info.
All on the Nebraska side, Bellevue, Chalco, Elkhorn, Ft. Calhoun, Gretna, Irvington, Papillion, Plattsmouth, Richfield, Springfield, Valley, and Waterloo are nearby towns, even though we are creeping into Bellevue and Papillion. On the Iowa side, we have Council Bluffs, Carter Lake, and Crescent.
Even though Carter Lake is on the Iowa side, it is on the west side of the Missouri River. More on Carter Lake.
Bellevue (Zip*, Sarpy, Pop: 50,137 (7 miles)
Bellevue is Omaha's closest neighbor since it is hard to tell where one ends and the other begins. Bellevue is so special, it has its own page on our website..
Benson (Zip*, Douglas, Pop: Part of Omaha (4 miles)
Benson is a community that was annexed as part of Omaha in 1917. The community is still very much a small town on its own.
Omaha's closest neighbors aren't the only wonderful communities in the Midwest. Many more are listed in the Nebraska Communities page and each of the Neighboring States, Iowa, South Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado, Kansas, and Missouri.
The Nebraska Communities pages comes in two versions:
Click the browser back arrow or use your backspace key to return to the previous page, or click on the following links.
• Omaha Neighbors | Bellevue | Council Bluffs | Florence | Lincoln | Kansas City •
• European Explorers | Native American Period | Mormon Period | Omaha History | Bellevue History •
• Nebraska Intro | Nebraska History | Nebraska Waters | Nebraska Birds •
• Nebraska Communities (Miles from Omaha) | Nebraska Communities (A-Z) | Nebraska Chamber of Commerce Links •
• Neighbor States | Iowa | Missouri | Kansas | Colorado | Wyoming | South Dakota •
• Advertise | About | Contact | Help | Link To Us | Site Map | Site Info | Copyright | Disclaimer | Privacy | Terms •
• External Link Pages: Attractions | Entertainment | Recreation | Restaurants | Shopping | Education | History •
• External Link Pages: Omaha Links | Old Market Links | Douglas County Links | Nebraska Links | United States Links •
Copyright © 1996-2015 AllAboutOmaha.com - RSS All Rights Reserved Worldwide and the Space Station. No portion of this page may be copied, distributed, altered, or used in any fashion without prior written permission from All About Omaha. Content is based on opinion of the author and from data available at time of creation and is not guaranteed to be current. References to product or company names may be registered trademarks, or service marks of their respective companies. Links and graphics are not an indication of endorsements or sponsorship. Even though the Internet allows access to websites worldwide, your viewing and use of the website is conditional upon your agreeing with the Site Terms and Conditions. For more information refer to the legal documents included in the links at the bottom of the page.